maandag 12 mei 2014

It's difficult to leave Colombia...

In the minds of people who never visited Colombia this country still has a bad reputation of violence, narco-trafficking, the FARC guerrilla, etc. However, as soon as I arrived here I realised that the only risk in Colombia these days is not wanting to leave... 
I am now in the El Dorado airport of Bogota for my second attempt to leave, after having enjoyed a bonus week of holiday in Colombia (thanks to the US customs who refused my emergency passport -which caused no problems at all during 8 months of travelling through South America- for a transit in Atlanta)!

How to enjoy the last days in Colombia to the fullest?!?
First I traveled from the Caribbean coast to 'la zona cafetera' to visit a traditional coffee plantation in Salento, a beautiful small town excellent to relax and to enjoy the 'tinto' -black coffee- which is produced in an organic way in a lot of fincas in this area. Salento was also the perfect base for an early morning trip to the Cocora valley, an amazing valley featuring thousands of wax palm trees, the national tree of Colombia.
Still on a high from the organic coffee I arrived in Bogota and was lucky enough to be invited to stay at Oskar's place, a Colombian friend who I met a couple of weeks ago in the mountains of the Sierra de Cocuy. Oskar and his mum showed me once again the true meaning of Colombian hospitality... 'mi casa es tu casa', amazing food (amongst which all the fruit varieties you can possibly find in Colombia), helping me to find my way in the chaotic Bogotan public transportation system and lots of interesting talks (I remember one evening when I was 'interrogated' by Oskar and his mum about the my job, the international space station and... extraterrestrial life, haha!!!)
Strolling around in 'la Candelaria' -the old city centre-, going up to Montserate -the church and viewpoint on top of one of the mountains surrounding Bogota-, visiting the world famous gold museum, connecting again with some Colombian friends I made in the mountains, going out with these friends and learning how to dance reggeaton and champeta, rock climbing in Suesca during the weekends... Bogota was treating me very very well!!
Thanks to my bonus holiday week I could visit one more place in Colombia... I originally wanted to go to San Agustin, but the strikes and road blockings organised by discontent farmers all over the country decided differently and I ended up in Cali! Not bad either, knowing that Cali is Colombia's salsa capital!! A few lessons in the hostal and then the big test in Tin Tin Deo, one of the oldest and most famous salsa bars in town! It took some guts and quite some Pokers (one of the better Colombian beers) to start dancing and show our basic moves between all the natural-born salseros from Cali, but it made for a special evening out!

Time to board now... yes, this time it looks like I am really coming home.
Hasta luego America del Sur!!
 
   The coffee process from beginning to end - at organic finca Don Eduardo, Salento.

   Lush green scenery around Salento, a quiet and relaxing place.

   Salento's main street full of colourful houses and shops.

   Valley of Cocora...

   ... the early morning mist gave a little extra touch to the thousands of wax palm trees in Cocora!

   Cafe tienda 'Jesus Martin', my favourite place in Salento :-)

   @ the rocks in Suesca!! At the bottom right 'Salsa control', one of my first routes here!

   Between all the green stuff some beautiful routes are hidden!!

   It's Poker-time in Suesca after a weekend climbing with Oskar en Claudia.

   On the look-out...

   Sitting out the rain on a cosy ledge in 'maƱana gris', a classic 70m route in Suesca.

   Bogota, seen from the vantage point of Montserate.

   One of the many head masks of the shamans on display in the gold museum.

   Pensador prehispanico. Don't know why, but this little statue inspires me and makes me think :-)

   Plaza Simon Bolivar, the heart of 'la Candelaria' in Bogota.

   The cathedral at Plaza Simon Bolivar with in the background Montserate.

   Plazulea de Chorro de Quevedo... this is where Bogota started, the first houses were built around this little plaza!

   The first church of Bogota on the Plazulea de Chorro de Quevedo...

   Bogota celebrates Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Gabo for the friends! He died recently on April 17th 2014.

   Little streets in 'la Candelaria'.

   Parque de gato in Cali... Me posing with a real 'Calena' :-)

   The last evening in Cali I found this... a sign to come home, I guess.














Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten